Land Warfare

Army’s munition organic industrial base remains FY24 focus, though politics, inflation aren’t helping

“If we have to do like most of America does, and tighten our belts a little bit, we may have to push a project or two to the left,” Marion Whicker, Army Materiel Command’s executive deputy to the commanding general, told Breaking Defense.

Secretary of the Army Visits Rock Island Arsenal
Maj. Gen. Chris Mohan, US Army Sustainment Command commanding general, and Army Secretary Christine Wormuth tour the Rock Island Arsenal in Illinois on June 6, 2022. (US Army/Linda Lambiotte)

AUSA 2023 — A funding influx last year helped the Army get a jumpstart on its 15-year organic industrial base (OIB) modernization plan, and this year the organization is striving to maintain focus on improvements to its ammunition facilities amid political dysfunction and growing inflation challenges, according to a senior official. 

Service leaders had planned to move out on their $16 billion OIB plan in fiscal 2024 that would make improvements at 23 depots, arsenals and ammunition plants managed by Army Material Command. But lawmakers’ concern about the US industrial base and the war inside Ukraine, prompted them to kick start the effort in FY23 with an additional $2.5 billion spread between supplemental spending and congressional add-ons, Marion Whicker, Army Materiel Command’s executive deputy to the commanding general, told Breaking Defense during a Sept 27 interview. 

“The focus was really across the ammunition plants [in FY23] and really to facilitize the expansion of capacity for the 155mm ammunition rounds,” she said ahead of the Association of the United States Army conference in Washington, DC. 

More specifically, the Army used those dollars to spread funding around depots and ammunition plants around the county including: 

  • $174 million toward the Holston Army ammunition plant (AAP) in Kingsport, Tenn.;
  • $181 million for the Radford AAP in Virginia;
  • $160 million for the Iowa AAP in Middletown, Iowa;
  • $243 million for the Scranton AAP in Pennsylvania;
  •  $201.5 million for a facility in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.; 
  • $115 million for a plant in Garland, Tex.; and
  • $127 million for the Rock Island Arsenal in Illinois. 

Plans for FY24, which began on Oct. 1, remain in limbo since Congress has not sent President Joe Biden a defense spending bill, and the Department of Defense is currently operating under a 45-day continuing resolution that strips money for Ukraine. It remains unclear what will happen once that CR runs out.

If lawmakers are unable to pass a spending bill and opt to shut down the government, Whicker said she anticipates a “minimal impact” on OIB plans, at least initially. However, if a shutdown drags on, it will prevent the service from awarding new contracts.

While she did not provide specific FY24 contracting plans, the OIB goal for this year is to continue shoring up those Army ammo facilities and building capacity for the service’s ground systems, including several planned projects at the Army’s Watervliet Arsenal in New York that builds cannon tubes. 

Regardless of what lawmakers decide to do, though, Whicker said the command is grappling with the higher cost of doing business. 

“We always know that inflation is going to impact … [but] the impact of inflation has been far greater than we thought it would be,” she said, noting that this problem expands to lingering supply chain disruptions and the construction work force is “maxed out.”

The combo has led to high project costs across the board that is exceeding the inflation buffer built into projections. As in past years, the command plans to conduct a “wargame” for all its projects in November and update inflation variables.

“A couple things [could] happen. … We will certainly ask for some additional funds, if it’s available, and if we can get it, we will continue to proceed,” she explained.  “If we have to do like most of America does, and tighten our belts a little bit, we may have to push a project or two to the left.”

OP ED: Ukraine war shows America could be outgunned without investing in energetics

As Whicker and other Army leaders move out on OIB modernization plans, they are working towards a goal of being able to produce 100,000 155-mm artillery munitions each month by the end of FY25, Army acquisition head Doug Bush confirmed last month. In the last two weeks of September alone, the service said it awarded $1.5 billion worth of contracts to increase 155-mm production capacity and inventory.

From that pot, funds were awarded to bolster the industrial base production capacity to produce the M795 — a 155 mm high-fragmentation, steel (HF1)-body projectile — and a trio of multiyear procurement contracts for M1128 load, assemble, and pack (LAP) artillery rounds, and modular artillery charge system LAPs, according to an Oct. 6 press release.

Those dollars were also used to buy 14.2 million pounds of bulk energetics, 270,000 primers, 678,000 fuses, 2.7 million modular artillery charge system (MACS) combustible cartridge cases, load assemble and pack of 1.6 million MACS propellant increments, and load assemble and pack of 451,000 M795/M1128 projectiles.

PHOTOS: AUSA 2023

PHOTOS: AUSA 2023

A Blade-55 UAV from Alare Technologies lingers over visitors at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
At AUSA 2023, Boeing's Compact Laser Weapon System (CLWS) was seen fitted on a Polaris MRZR vehicle. (Tim Martin / Breaking Defense)
From Flyer Defense, "The Beast" Multi-Purpose Mobile Fire Support System is shown on the AUSA 2023 show floor. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
This squat robot, seen on the show floor at AUSA 2023, is made by L3Harris as a counter-UAS system. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
Leonardo DRS showed off a Stryker vehicle outfitted with its own c-UAS system at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
Among the many products on display by Northrop Grumman were several chain guns. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
The defense firm Recluse showed off its hybrid electric cargo UAV. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
AeroVironment's Switchblade launcher sits on display at AUSA 2023. (Tim Martin / Breaking Defense)
General Dynamics 10-ton TRX-Shorad tracked robotic weapon at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
HDT Global's Wolf robotic system, configured with some serious firepower, at AUSA 2023. (Sydney Freedburg / Breaking Defense)
SARISA SRS-1A quadcopter equipped with a rocket launcher at AUSA 2023.
Qinetiq's RCV-L on display at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
A Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected, better known as MRAP, vehicle by Canadian firm Roshel sits on display at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
At Sig Sauer's booth at AUSA 2023, the firm displayed a small but very heavily armed robot. (Sydney Freedburn / Breaking Defense)
A model of a Textron Systems M3 Ripsaw Remote Combat Vehicle takes aim (at the ceiling) at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
Built for wide-area recon, Rohde & Schwartz's COMINT system is designed for radio monitoring and radio location. The system is shown here at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
AeroVironment’s Jump 20 VTOL fixed-wing drone lingers above visitors at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
The South Korean defense contractor Hanwha brought out the big guns for AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
Israel Aerospace Industries put its Rex robotic ground vehicle on display at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
Rheinmetall’s SSW40 automatic shoulder-fired grenade launcher, along with its munitions, on display at AUSA 2023. (Brendon Smith / Breaking Defense)
Greek firm SAS showed a loitering munition at the Hellenic Pavilion at AUSA 2023. (Aaron Mehta / Breaking Defense)
Attendees pose with a soldier mascot at AUSA 2023. (Aaron Mehta / Breaking Defense)