Space Force taps SpaceX, ULA for first set of critical launches beyond FY27
SpaceX was assigned seven NSSL Phase 3 Lane 2 launches under a contract worth $714 million; ULA two launches worth $428 million.
SpaceX was assigned seven NSSL Phase 3 Lane 2 launches under a contract worth $714 million; ULA two launches worth $428 million.
In an exclusive interview with Breaking Defense, outgoing SDA Director Derek Tournear said the agency's three biggest technological successes have been proving the viability of space-based Link 16; missile tracking from LEO; and low-cost laser links.
The services’ unfunded requests, obtained by Breaking Defense, reflect sharp increases compared to last year.
Executives from both Lockheed and Raytheon indicated interest in building a space-based interceptor, and hinted at their broad approaches to Golden Dome.
Contracts for the next-generation Tranche 3, which will replace the earliest Transport Layer satellites, have been paused until the Space Force study is completed, five sources with knowledge of the program told Breaking Defense.
The MILNET contract with SpaceX is being paid for by the Space Force but managed by the National Reconnaissance Office, sources said.
Elon Musk's SpaceX is already expected to conduct more than two dozen national security-related space launches over the next few years.
President Donald Trump said the project to develop a missile defense shield should be "fully operational" before the end of his term, and claimed Canada has asked to join the project.
Meink, most recently the principal deputy director for the National Reconnaissance Office, is a relative anomaly amongst President Donald Trump’s picks for top Defense Department leaders, having an extensive history of working within the US government.
There are a lot of hopes within DoD and the Space Force for Project Kuiper's success, with officials seeing the constellation as offering diversity beyond Starlink in the supplier base for so-called proliferated LEO services.
“I have no relationship with Space X or Mr. Musk outside of a professional relationship in execution of my current duties,” Meink stated in written responses to questions from Sen. Elizabeth Warren.
The shift was recommended by the Space Force in order to protect the service's high-priority efforts, sources told Breaking Defense.
With that thumbs up from Space Systems Command’s (SSC) Assured Access to Space program office in hand, ULA now is the second fully certified launch provider, along with SpaceX, cleared under the Space Force's National Security Space Launch (NSSL) program.
Col. Rich Kniseley said the current plan is to set up a new Space Force working capital fund for buying commercial SATCOM, initially worth about $120 million, on Oct. 1.